Helping Homeless Dogs
Speaking of Dogs has various types of volunteer positions available including:
We are always in search of new foster homes where a dog can be cared for and loved until a permanent home is found. Fill out our online fostering application.
We run many events over the course of the year and all our events are organized and run by volunteers. Here are just a few examples of events we run and the volunteer positions we need:
- We run our online auction once a year and need volunteers for photography, copy writing, donation drop offs, pick-ups, and storage, website coordinators, and more.
- We hold a fundraising event with dinner and entertainment once a year where we can always use help organizing or setting up.
- We organize a yard sale once a year. We need volunteers to help setup, pack up, and to attend on the day and help customers purchase items.
- We attend Woofstock, the Canadian Pet Expo, and other events a few times a year. We need volunteers to help help setup, pack up, and to attend the booth on the day.
The dogs we help are not always located in Toronto. Often, we need to travel to pick up dogs and transport them to their foster homes. We are always looking for volunteers who can be available for this so please contact us.
Before someone becomes a new adoptive parent or a foster home, we conduct a home check. We are looking for volunteers with some previous experience in various locations across the GTA or Ontario who can be available for home checks so please contact us.
Administration and Fund Raising
There is always something to do within the Speaking of Dogs world and we are always looking for volunteers to help with administrative duties. This could be helping organize an event, making phone calls, or following up on a home check. And with so many dogs to help, it can be tough to remember to raise funds so if you have the time and the interest for any of these volunteer activities, we’d love to hear from you.
Although we have a partnership with a doggy daycare, we do not have a physical shelter; our dogs are in-home fostered by caring, loving volunteers. Because of the way our rescue is structured the only hands-on volunteer positions with our dogs is fostering. Can’t foster, but want to help our dogs? Consider the following donation:
- Gas gift cards
- Global Pet Foods or Pet Valu gift cards
- Kong toys
- Treat dispensing toys
- Canned and dry quality dog foods
- Martingale collars
- Kuranda Beds
- Thunder Shirts
Financial support for the many medical procedures required, microchips, food, supplies and professional grooming make financial donations through our Canada Helps page.
Please contact us to arrange any donations. Thank you!